Social Security Listing Of Impairments
The Social Security listing of impairments ("Blue Book" or "Disability Evaluation Under Social Security") is a long list of disorders and illnesses that the Social Security Administration (SSA) uses when determining whether someone has a disability for purposes of Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
If you are ill, injured or disabled, the SSA will use the listing of impairments, along with other factors, to determine whether you qualify for SSDI/SSI. At Wood, Carlton & Hudson, P.C., our Pontotoc and Corinth SSD/SSI attorneys help clients apply for Social Security income or bring an appeal if their benefits have been denied. We have a comprehensive understanding of how the SSA works in these cases. In fact, attorney Bobby Wood is a preeminent northern Mississippi Social Security Disability lawyer with more than three decades of experience.
To schedule a free consultation about your Social Security claim, please contact us.
SSA Impairment Categories
The following is a list of the disability classifications used by the SSA and examples of disorders that fall under each classification:
- Cardiovascular system impairments — heart disease, chronic heart failure, etc.
- Digestive system impairments — liver disease, hemorrhage, inflammatory bowel disease, etc.
- Endocrine system impairments — diabetes, thyroid disorders, etc.
- Genitourinary impairments — nephrotic syndrome, renal function impairment, etc.
- Hematological disorders — sickle cell disease, anemia, hemophilia, etc.
- Immune system disorders — sclerosis, lupus erythematosus, human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), etc.
- Impairments that affect multiple body systems — down syndrome
- Malignant neoplastic diseases / cancer — breast cancer, lung cancer, leukemia, etc.
- Mental disorders — autism, schizophrenia, anxiety disorders, personality disorders, etc.
- Musculoskeletal system impairments — spine disorders, fractures, soft tissue injuries, etc.
- Neurological disorders — multiple sclerosis (MS), epilepsy, Parkinson's disease, cerebral palsy, etc.
- Respiratory system impairments — chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), cystic fibrosis, restrictive lung disease, etc.
- Skin disorders — chronic infections, bullous disease, dermatitis, etc.
- Special senses and speech impairments — blindness, hearing loss, speech disorders, etc.
Contact Our Alcorn County, Mississippi, Social Security Disability Attorneys
Our lawyers help clients throughout Mississippi and western Tennessee fight for the benefits they need after a serious injury or illness. If you have back pain, heart problems or another disorder that prevents you from returning to work, please call our toll-free help line at 866-490-8414 or contact us by email. Your initial consultation will be absolutely free.