Call For A Free Case Evaluation
What Happens If The Other Driver Doesn’t Have Insurance?
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Car Accidents
  4.  » What Happens If The Other Driver Doesn’t Have Insurance?

Can I Recover Damages From A Driver Who Doesn’t Have Insurance?

When you or a loved one suffers an injury or property damage in a car crash, you expect the insurance company to cover your losses and medical expenses, which can be significant if your injuries are severe. But, what happens if the driver who is at fault for your accident does not have auto insurance? Are you out of luck, or do you have other options?

Despite the fact that Mississippi law requires drivers to have liability insurance, many drivers continue to operate their vehicles without insurance coverage ― meaning the scenario described above occurs more often than we would like. However, if you find yourself injured by a driver who doesn’t have insurance, don’t panic, you may still be protected if your own auto insurance policy contains uninsured motorist and underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage.

Understanding The Basics Of UM/UIM Coverage

In the most basic terms, UM/UIM coverage comes into play if you are injured in a motor vehicle collision with another driver who doesn’t have enough insurance to cover your losses ― or worse, no insurance at all. For example, if the at-fault driver only carries enough insurance to pay for half of your damages and/or medical expenses, you should be able to make up the difference by seeking benefits under your own policy’s UM/UIM coverage.

Importantly, you may also be able to use your UM/UIM coverage if you are a passenger injured in a car accident, or even a pedestrian or bicyclist who has been hit by a car. You may even be covered if you are injured when another driver hits you or your car and then drives away ― also known as a hit-and-run accident.

When used properly, UM/UIM coverage can be a useful tool for making you whole following a serious collision. However, knowing how to use this tool effectively can be difficult, especially since insurance companies are not always cooperative when you file an insurance claim. This is why it is so important to speak with an experienced lawyer.

Contact Wood & Carlton, P.C., Today

Call us today at 662-841-2003, or toll-free at 662-643-4341, for a FREE consultation with an experienced car accident attorney. You can also reach us online. Let us deal with the insurance company so you can concentrate on things that are more important.

With office locations in Corinth, Pontotoc and Tupelo, we represent injury victims throughout northern Mississippi and western Tennessee.